Northern Lights are my favourite things to paint, the vibrant colours draw me in everytime I glance at them 🙂
If you are like me with a love for these amazing dancing lights, then pick up your brush and follow this step by step tutorial to create something beautiful!
Let’s begin with TOOLS used for this painting:
Once you have everything you need, let’s start with the brush works:
Tips & Tricks:
- It is recommended to use masking tape as a boarder, but it is not essential
- Always use dabbing motion when applying different colours of Northern Lights
- Tilt the paper while background is wet for different results
- Make sure paper is always wet when painting the sky
- Use tissue paper to lift some paint out to create interesting effects
- Never mix colour on paper, always mix on palette, let the pigments do its mixing magic on paper
That’s all for now!
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial 🙂
If you’d like to learn about anything else watercolour related or just want to have a chat, please leave a comment below.
Follow my blog for more step by step & video tutorials, review of watercolour tools, sketching techniques and lots more!!!